We enrich students’ lives and prepare them for greater things in the future. Our educational work goes beyond teaching English, though that is a valued service. We also train local teachers in modern educational methods, helping students learn more effectively. We have developed a Community Center around a Kindergarten that also hosts evening classes for parents. This center impacts the whole family and serves as a model that is now being reproduced by locals in other needy communities.
Fun in Language Learning
Who said language learning cannot be fun? Here are some fun comments from teachers and students (as reported by those serving in other countries*).
- My first time to laser tag was with my new friends from the English Club (free English lessons provided by others in the community.). It was a great time!
- If traveling two hours to hang out with your friends who live in the same city, you must be among millions of people. So worth it though! I met up with my U.S. friend! And the two hours on the bus is good local language study time.
- It was a fun night of helping students learn English while socializing at a barbeque.
- I haven’t told you all much I love this new language, but it’s true that I do!! I just realized how much this is true yesterday when I was telling my friend about them.
- Today my two (local country) gym friends mentioned they liked my exercise headband. Come to find out they don’t sell these in this country. When I told them I’d pick one up for them the next time I’m in the States, they said “Thank you very much!” in a photo tweet. I look forward to these friendships and the stories that we can share. Their hearts are precious!
*Real names, photos, locations are not used for security reasons.